I wrote the previous post when I was only a few pages into Chapter 3. But I just finished it, and wow! I particularly appreciated how the author discussed her relationship with her father, and the other gentlemen that wrote a letter about his father. To this day, I have never met my father, so I can really relate. Just yesterday my husband was listening to a podcast online that stated 90% of what daughters think about their identity is formed from what their fathers have said to them. I would guess that the percentage is close for sons as well. I feel I have experienced that in my life, and it seems the author did as well.To end on a happy note, although my father was never in the picture, my grandfather did, and still does, encourage me to always do and be my best. He's always been my biggest fan when it came to my music. He came to almost every single music performance in my lifetime, from the time I was 10 until I graduated college. It was all because of him that I was able to start taking lessons to begin with! I'm so thankful for him.
Chapter 4 gave me some great ideas to use when talking to the teens at church about being a contribution. I like the game the author made because it allows the students/teens to see themselves, and each other, as a person that is unique and worthy of making contributions to the class, group and the world without have the anxiety of wondering if they were "successful" or not.
My favorite part of Chapter 5 was when the author admitted his mistake about when the cow bell comes in. As a student teacher at my middle school placement, I remember teaching a lesson group and getting frustrated with them for playing a line wrong. Finally I realized I was looking at a different part and burst out laughing. Not only did this help me relax, but it helped the students realize I was still learning too, and that it's ok to make mistakes.
Chapter 6 was hilarious, but so true! I loved the quote, "The practice of this chapter is to lighten up, which may well light up those around you" (Zander, 2000).
Picture taken from: http://www.clker.com/clipart-9380.html
Zander, B. & Zander, R. (2000). The art of possibility. New York, NY. Penguin Group.
No comments:
Post a Comment