Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Week 3 Reading: The Art of Possibility, Ch 1-3


This might be my favorite book so far that we have had to read for this program. Often times I will "inspect" a book before reading it. I don't judge it by the covers, but I like to look and read them. When I took a look at the back cover of this book and saw the authors photo, I had a feeling I was going to like it. They look like they have FUN together! 

Chapter 1 started off by helping me to see the differences in the factory workers points of view about the African people without shoes. If I ever want to start a business, which I may, I want to be sure I'm thinking like the second guy.

My favorite part so far was the very end of Chapter 2. I am a very optimistic person! I haven't always been that way, but I have realized that people who dream and have a positive view of life have a lot more fun than those who say they are viewing things "realistically". If someone asked me whether the cup was half full or half empty, I'd look up from the bottom and say it's 3/4's full and still going up. 

I loved Chapter 3 about giving students, and all people, A's. Growing up I was a student that wanted to memorize all the material, spit it out for the tests and get an A+ every time. I wasn't always successful, but it worked a lot of the time. When I started this program at Full Sail I honestly got a little worried at first. Projects? No tests? I can't fully rely on my good memory to get through this! But, to my wonderful surprise, this has been awesome! I feel like most of our Course Directors have taken a similar approach to the author. Once I finally figured that out I began to try more things and really have fun! Stress-free learning is the best! This has really made me think about what I can do to create a similar atmosphere in my online classrooms.

3 comments:

  1. Abby - I am also really enjoying The Art of Possibility book. It has me thinking deeply about how to use the concepts of "Give an A" and "Being a Contribution" in my classroom. I think my students will freak-out. This is something totaly different that what they are used to. I am nervous about it. Thank you for sharing your personal experience about your feelings towards no tests and Full Sail's method of projects. It was enlightening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby,
    I completely agree with you! Each student does have something to offer and they might not be able to express their knowledge on paper. There is too much stress on written tests, administration should focus more on what students know and let them express themselves in any way they can (to an extent of course). Giving students the chance to express themselves will build confidence in each and every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that this book spoke to you. Never give up your vision or happy disposition.

    ReplyDelete