Saturday, August 1, 2009

Week 4 Reading: The Art of Possibility, Ch 10-12


10 - Being the Board

At first I don't think I quite understood what this chapter was about. I had to re-read it. But after doing so, the same day, I found myself using the information. What helped me to deal with the situation was to remember that I could change in order to make the situation better for both of us, instead of just putting the blame on this woman. By keeping my word, and moving on with it, we both ended up having a better night. I also learned that I need to get more information next time instead of making some incorrect assumptions. Overall, this is a lesson learned.

11 - Creating Frameworks for Possibility

I know I've been talking about our youth group in a lot of these posts, but that has been our main focus lately. And this chapter, again, is helping me with them! 3 words can sum up this chapter: purpose, commitment and vision. If we can teach our students, families, co-workers, church leaders, etc. what these 3 words mean and what they look like in action, we'll be very successful. I loved when Zander asked his teenagers, "What...did you come here to offer the Brazilian people?" Next week our youth group is going to a nearby city to help out. They have had many unfortunate events happen earlier this year, and they need some hope and vision to move forward. Before we go I am going to ask our teens that question, "What are we coming to offer these people?" We need to have a vision of why we are there.

12 - Telling the We Story

I have heard this many times in college, especially when it comes to teaching. This is particularly useful when a student is having a hard time, I could ask "What can we do to make this easier to understand?" This has also helped me when I have to call parents. Parents do not appreciate it when it sounds like we are pointing fingers and accusing them or their children (and who does?) It's amazing how using this small word, we, the whole tone of a conversation can change for the better of both parties.

1 comment:

  1. You're learning a lot of important things about dealing with folks under difficult circumstances. it's important to hang onto the fact that it's not about blame or finger pointing, but about coming together to fix things that are broken.

    ReplyDelete